Saturday, January 28, 2012

Race Review--Securian 5k

My sister and I ran the Securian 5k this morning in St. Paul.

Kid 2 woke up at 4am, and I was awake with him for about an hour. He finally went back to sleep, and so did I. When my alarm went off at 6:30, I turned it off and thought, "if no one else gets up, I'm skipping the race." A few minutes later, my hubby peeked in, and I pretended to be sleeping. He just hopped in the shower, so I knew I was going to have to run. While he was in the shower, Kid 1 woke up. We all got up, got dressed, ate some breakfast, and found all the hats & mittens. We got in the van at 7:50 for the drive to St. Paul.

On the way up there, I asked my hubby if he wanted to wait around to see Steve in a Speedo and Pharmie finish their races. They are fellow triathletes/runners, and we follow their blogs. Ends up, they parked right next to us. It was kind of like meeting celebrities.

I took this picture of Steve & Sarah and snagged it from #steveinaspeedo Twitter feed. 

My sister & I picked up our packets. I nursed the Baby for a few minutes, and then Hubby showed me again how to use his Garmin. After the starts of the 13.1 and the 10k, we scooted outside to the 5k start. 

Hubby & Baby

Me, Kid 2, and Sister
(Kid 1 was hiding from pictures)

About 400 yards into the race, my sister was about two steps ahead of me. I told her to just run her race, and I'd see her at the end. Almost immediately, the course started a long long uphill. It wasn't too steep, but geez, it seemed long. And I ran the whole hill. I made it my goal then to run the whole 5k. I haven't done that since the March for Hunger in March 2011, when I was 16 weeks along with Baby. 

I just kept plugging away. I wasn't moving too fast, but I felt okay. Then we made this turn down a pretty steep hill. I saw my sister running up it and thought, "There's no way I'm running up this." When I got to running back up the hill, it wasn't even resting to walk up the hill. I might have been working harder to walk up the hill than I did to run down it. At the second to last turn, there was another uphill. And it probably wasn't that steep, and I know it wasn't that long. But I walked that for a bit, too. 

At the last turn, I could see my Hubby, Kids, & Sister. The two kids ran the last 100 yards or so with me. That is always lots of fun. I'm hoping they got official photos of us at the finish, but the pictures aren't posted yet. I'll update if they're a good one of the kids & me. 

I finished in 37:20, which is slower than I was hoping, but whatever. 

Afterwards, we walked over to the Caribou ad got nice & warm drinking lattes. 

I think it was a fun race. I felt good and almost met my goal. If there hadn't been those hills, I'd've done it. I need to incorporate some hill work into my routine. 

1 comment:

  1. You guys are like famous! I read about you on Steve in a Speedo! Remember I knew you way back when. :-)

    Clearly what you needed in this race was your pink hat which is still in my closet because I have a postal disorder.